Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Please, We're in the Business of Making Friends...


You see, we don't consider ourselves toy makers... as a matter of fact it shook me up when I overheard my nephew once telling somebody that we were 'little dolly makers'. He wasn't saying it in a derogatory way, just saying it.  


The thing is, I have tried to communicate the same things for as long as I can remember... the overall idea, of which we just barely scratch the surface.  That we just barely connect here... I am often a frustrated artist running through the mediums, but I know that I am always looking for life, real life, filled with love and greatness.  I look for friends and I have always made them... with my own hands; drawings, paintings, multitudes of sculptures out of fabric, clay and debris.  My creations are real to me and they speak to me.  I have used them to connect with others like me.  The most boring looking soul at a craft fair can light up in our booth and talk about the life of his childhood sock monkey.  I love that!  


I want to be taken seriously.  I want to be a 'real artist'.  I want people to find life in my music, philosophies, writings... I want to be applauded and understood... and I am baffled as to why I am drawn to compulsively create things that tend to be so weird (and humorous) and perhaps even childish.  
Julie has joined me.  I don't think that she is any more or less of an artist if she makes baby booties, wall size paintings or simply writes a blog post.
Why does what an artist make always define them.  Maybe an artist is 'simply someone that creates art'.  Simply someone that creates...   


  


Love to you all,
Eppie   

No comments:

Post a Comment